Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep – Le Corbusier, Architect
- Do engage an architect, where possible. Include the cost of fees in your budget from the start. Do not consider this outlay an added luxury. It should be an intrinsic part of your strategy for what will possibly be the greatest investment in your life.
- Expect to recoup the expense in many years enjoyment of a space sculpted to your exact needs, now and into the future.
- Start with light, specifically the movement of sun about the house.
- If possible, provide at least one room that has sun all day, preferably the Kitchen/Family/Dining Room, the natural centre of gravity in the contemporary house.
- A guide to the relevant planning issues is contained in the leaflet from www.environ.ie PL4. Building a House – The Planning Issues